Monday, September 11, 2006

Practice time!

Today was my first saxophone lesson since May.
I mention this because this was also the day that I discovered just how out of shape I've gotten over the summer.
Don't ask me why, but for some reason I figured that with me graduating in December, things on the classical end of things would be less intense than in time past. In hindsight, this obviously makes no logical sense, since my junior recital (which was only a half hour long) almost kicked my butt last Spring, and I now have a little over two months to full-out prepare a Senior recital (which is twice as long and will determine whether I start 2007 in a good mood or not).

Add to that another semester as section leader in wind ensemble, the confirmation received today that my quartet will indeed be rehearsing and gigging this season, and a possible shot to play a solo with the orchestra, and suddenly I've found myself with more necessary preparations than you could shake a really big stick at.

Yeah, don't tell me, I already know.

But you know what? There is good news, though, and it is this: I may have slacked on saxophone this summer, but I got really good at video. I promise.

Just kidding, there's better news than that.
After evaluating where things were and checking the urge to go running screaming into the hills, I went into a practice room spent some time wood shedding the basics like I hadn't done in a while, and wouldn't you know, once the cobwebs got cleared up I found that I'm not in as terrible a shape as I thought.
The diminished scales are a little rocky and some of the high notes have wandered a little sharp, but it's mostly there. Mostly.

The moral of the story?
I should have graduated last year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well all think you should have graduated last year. But hey at least you had more time to work on it! -HJ :-)